Thursday, February 20, 2014


First I assume that you already know what is KTKLN and you already obtain Work Agreement from Indonesian Embassy. If not you can visit this great blog site that has very detailed processes for renewing WP and Passport, getting the insurance and most importantly the Work Agreement:

http://sanitybeyondpregnancy.blogspot.sg/2012/10/diy-your-indonesian-maid-renewal.html

1. We decided to bring our maid to Batam to get her KTKLN renewed because we thought that she wouldn't know how to do it herself in Bandung (the nearest city from her hometown). In addition, we want to take this opportunity to bring our kids to have a short vacation in Batam  :-)

2. First, you need to bring the following documents:
  • Original passport and 2 sets of photocopy of the main page, last page and the page that shows the new address in Singapore (when you get the Work Agreement from Indonesian Embassy, they will amend your maid's passport to add your address in).
  • Original Work Permit with 2 sets of photocopy front and back.
  • Original Work Agreement and 2 sets of photocopy. 

3. We took 9:50am ferry and arrived at Batam Centre Ferry Terminal around 10am Batam time.
ps. I suggest you don't go there too early! If you can get a ferry that arrives around 11am that would be better. The reason is the insurance guy from the other office seems to only process the paperworks in batches or when there are enough people. We ended up waiting inside the cramp and hot office for 2 hours waiting for the insurance guy to come with the insurance paper.

4. Anyway, back at the ferry terminal you have to book a taxi from the taxi counter outside the building. Tell them you want to go to P4TKI at Komplek Ruko Green Land to renew KTKLN. The address is actually listed in their price list and it's fixed at IDR50,000.

ps. In case they don't understand you, P4TKI is pronounced "Pear empart Tay Kar Ee". KTKLN is pronounced "Ka Tay Ka L N"

The complete address is Komplek Ruko Green Land Blok E No 3A.
The coordinate is http://goo.gl/maps/BpSWm

5. The taxi ride is only about 5 minutes. Look out for this building in camouflage paint. The office is next to it on the left with the tinted glass doors. Not all taxi drivers will know this place so if your mobile has data roam enabled you can use the Maps app to navigate.




6. Once you are inside the office there is no queuing system so you just approach any of the officers there. They will then ask for all documents mentioned in point 2. They take the photocopies and will eventually return the original ones. Your maid then needs to fill up the form with her details including her husband/parents names, address, contact number and your (the employer) details. They will ask if you are renewing the card for one year or two years. This is for insurance purpose. Later you need to pay the insurance guy as follows:

IDR170,000 for 1 year
IDR290,000 for 2 years

You are also required to buy IDR6,000 'materai' from the corner shop about 3 houses away. The materai looks something like this


ps. If you forget to photocopy your documents or miss some of the pages, you can do it at a shop about a block away. I asked them why the office didn't sell the materai or provide photocopying service and they said this office doesn't hold any cash or accept any cash.

7. Next they ask your maid to go to the back of the office to get her photo taken and they will create the KTKLN card on the spot.

8. Then the waiting game begins. You can go out for a drink or lunch at nearby coffee shop or wait inside the office. Basically with all of the information they have, they inform the insurance company to prepare the insurance certificate and card. The guy from the insurance company is not based in the same building so he usually processes the paperwork in bulk. That's why I mentioned earlier there is no point going there very early in the morning.

9. At around 12:15, the guy from insurance company came with a bunch of certificates and cards. You pay him the insurance money (try to give an exact change) and he gives you the insurance certificate and card. You can then go and collect the KTKLN card and you are done!

10. If you want to catch a cab back you can call for the cab. For us we asked the driver that sent us there to wait for us. I later tipped him IDR20,000 (around S$2) for waiting for 2 hours.

In summary, apart from the waiting time, the process was quite smooth. We didn't have to pay for any additional money or 'kopi lui'.

42 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the details and so kind of you for sharing.
    People like me find so much hassle and lost when come into doing this process. But with your clear guided info, I found it so easy to navigate my myself thru the whole process. Thank you again for your kind guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I'm glad you found it useful.

      Delete
    2. Hi
      I went thru every steps, I even purchased the IDR6,000 'materai' earlier.
      I even got her 6 monthly medical examination photocopy report for foreign workers from the doctor who had examined her in S'pore which cost me
      S$35 to obtain that..In fact I have had everything in order. Well prepared I must said.
      HOWEVER....here was where something stupid happened. We knew very much that they were trying to scone money from us.They want us to pay for medical report before they can complete the insurance certificate.
      I even told them that she already have had her medical examine in Spore and provided them with the MOM FW medical examine report stamped by the doctor clinic. They refused to accept. They said their doctor will come and examine her. The place was not even fit for a medical checkup to be done there. I even told them that without this MOM FW Medical report, the maid wont be issued with work permit in S'pore.
      I even showed them the document provided by the Indon Embassy in Spore the list that I needed to bring to the KTKLN office in Batam. Nothing of such sort listed in the document. They even got the cheek to tell me the document was not updated. I told them the document was given to me just yesterday by the Indon Embassy officer.
      I even questioned them on how can their doctor obtain the result of the Xray, Blood test or urine Test on the spot?? I do not see any medical staff or room The place was really really not in a medical environment. I even told them that the whole medical thing here really doesn't make any senses. not practical at all and nonsense!! And definitely not listed in the document list provided by Indon Embassy.
      The whole staff there , were so damn good in cooperating as a team to fool you. All kind of excuses. in fact so damn stupid excuses.
      I could clearly see they were trying to scam me. I have no choice but went with the masquerade flow and gave them the amount money they required for the medical report.
      So...we played our part, we waited for the doctor to come as what they told us that he is coming but we knew it will never happened. Yes!! It never happened. It was all clear cut ...to scam you with money.
      The insurance cert and the card was long ready and I don't see the need of me to follow the masquerade anymore. However, I asked for my receipt for the medical report before I excused myself to leave. They can't even issued one. I knew it. I gave them the look that I knew that I have had been cheated by you people.
      When we left the office, I'm pretty sure the whole lot of them there had a good laugh at us being fooled by them.



      Delete
  2. Thank you for the detailed explanation. So generous of you to share and type in a long and helpful article. A question though, is the office open on weekends? what are their opening hours like? Is there a phone number that I can dial to call the office?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome.
      I am not sure if it opens on Saturday. I am pretty sure it's closed on Sunday. I found their contacts on the internet but not sure if they are still valid:
      P4TKI Batam, Komp. Ruko Greenland Blok E No. 3A Batam Centre, Telp: 0788-3154130, Fax: 0788-464478, Email: p4tki_batam@yahoo.com atau p4tki.batam@bnp2tki.go.id

      Maybe you can call or email them. Sorry I can't help much.

      Regards

      Delete
  3. Hi! My situation is like this.

    My FDW has worked for us previously and now we want to re-employ her. I got the in-principle approval letter.

    I have to go to the Indonesia Embassy in Singapore to get the work agreement?

    She has no work permit yet so how does she apply for the KTKLN card?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for the detailed information.
    Regarding the insurance, would it be mandatory to get from Indonesia as we have already bought one in Singapore for renewal of work pass.
    Just to share that I have checked with the embassy here and was informed that my FDW can bring a copy of the insurance bought here. However I am mindful that the instructions over the processing department may be otherwise.
    BTW, how much would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had to pay insurance on both sides. If I remember correctly it was Rp290K which is around $30. That was almost 2 years ago so I am not sure if it's still the same or even required at all. You know over there they keep changing the policy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the details, really helpful.

    I am paying my helper back for her ktkln and want to see how honest is she.

    She mentioned she spent $49, made up of Insurance $290k (S$30) and medical check (never say how much). Nothing was mentioned about the materia though. Would like to seek your advice

    1) May i know what the materia is for?
    2) Did your helper do any medical check back then? How much is that?


    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didnt ask for the exact fees cos i trust my helper. She's been with me for 10 years before. She settled everything for me and i just paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply. May I know how much in sgd you paid in all then?

      Delete
    2. I paid less than $500 for her air ticket and the processing fee. No agent involved.

      Delete
    3. Hi Kendrick

      Can I trouble you to help me ask your helper on the process to enter back in SG.

      I intend to hire my ex helper, but she does not have a valid KTKLN and her passport is expiring in Mar 2017.

      Thanks.

      Delete
    4. Hi Kendrick

      Can I trouble you to help me ask your helper on the process to enter back in SG.

      I intend to hire my ex helper, but she does not have a valid KTKLN and her passport is expiring in Mar 2017.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Need to check .im bringing my helper to Batam for vacation to look after my kids.My helper say the agency did not provide her the ktkln card.Check with my agent and was told ktkln was being done for her when she came to Spore but she did not get the physical card.The agency say just bring her to Batam and bring the contract agreement and the work permit and show to batam custom when she want to leave batam.im afraid that batam custom will not let her leave without the ktkln card.any advise?Should i gamble and bring her along to Batam without the ktkln card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine doesn't have one either and she can leave Indonesia.

      Delete
  12. Thank you super helpful information cheers ��

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her cousin works in an agency, they do the paperwork and brings her to the airport. Thus she is able to leave Indon without problem.

    Now the issue is 2years later when she goes back for a break, will she be able to leave again. She say shouldn't have any issue.

    But who knows by then they abolish the card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kendrick

      Can check with her if we could ask her cousin for help?

      Cause we doesn't want our helper to pay a hefty in order to come into SG.

      BTW by helper is from central jawa.

      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kendrick

      Can check with her if we could ask her cousin for help?

      Cause we doesn't want our helper to pay a hefty in order to come into SG.

      BTW by helper is from central jawa.

      Thanks.

      Delete
    3. hi fathie,

      did u manage to get ur helper to come in sg with kendricks help? im also stuck just because of the ktkln card and she is from central jawa.

      Delete
    4. hi fathie,

      did u manage to get ur helper to come in sg with kendricks help? im also stuck just because of the ktkln card and she is from central jawa.

      Delete
    5. I recently employed a second helper but this time round it was from an agency.

      They did not apply the ktkln card for her and she is with us now.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hihi I'm bringing my helper to batam with us for a vacation. Izzit a must to apply for the ktkln? My worry is batam custom may not let her indoh. Pls advice. I'm gg on this Friday. So worry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To update she did not apply the ktkln before. We do have contract agreement from embassy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules keep changing and it's hard to get the definitive answer from the authority. I have a maid who started work last Dec and she doesn't have the KTKLN either.

      Delete
  18. hi Sandra, may i ask how is your trip to Batam? did the officer in Indonesia asked for your maid's KTKLN? Thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi guys.. I am first time apply work permit for maid from batam so I just go MOM work in apply or any of ur advice thank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can bypass the agent and go MOM to apply.

      Delete
    2. Hi, I'm also trying to engage a helper in Batam. May I know the process and lead time for renewal of her passport as it will expire soon.
      Is this KLKTN card still required or can she enter S'pore as long as in principle approval from MOM is obtained?

      Thanks for your time.

      Delete
  20. The process probably take around 2 weeks. For passport, i help them renew at embassy in SG.

    I dont think KTKLN is needed, but dont take my words 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am trying to get my maid from Malang to come to SG. It seems that KTKLN is no longer required. Is indo insurance still required? Does she need to have work permit, contract and SG insurance before she departs from Indonesia? Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not buy any indo insurance.

      You have to apply for the work permit from MOM before your helper enters SG. As for the SG insurance i think you can get it when she has arrived or buy beforehand is fine too. I did not fulfill any contract as i did everything myself.

      Delete